Search This Blog

Monday, February 06, 2006

Missing From the Super Bowl...

I knew something was different about the Super Bowl this year but I couldn't put my finger on it. Was it the hideous and ear-splitting rendition of the National Anthem by Aaron Neville and Aretha? Could it have been the Stevie Wonder pre-game show complete with "peace signs" from singers that I had never heard of before? Was it seeing Keith Richards jumping around and wondering if he would have a heart attack before the half time show ended? No, none of the above.

It wasn't until I saw this on Michelle Malkin's blog that I realized what it was...THERE WAS NO SALUTE TO OUR SOLDIERS! Sure they had the color guard but that was it. No commercials like last year's famous "soldiers returning home to clapping crowds in the airport". No moment of silence for those that have given the ultimate sacrifice or those putting their lives on the line daily.

Instead of saluting the soldiers, the NFL paid homage to Rosa Parks and Coretta Scott King. Now I know that each hold a special place in history but to recognize the two women and ignore the soldiers? I know that the citizens on the Gulf Coast have been through (and still going through) a nightmare, but frankly I am sick and tired of the "gimme more" and "you owe me" attitudes from New Orleans, while not lifting a damn finger to do for themselves. If it was not for the National Guard and the Coast Guard (ahem - members of the military), most of the New Orleans' residents would still be sitting on their roofs.

For what it's worth - here's my salute to the soldiers and their families. God bless you all and keep you safe! The NFL may have forgotten you, but we have not!

A special salute to Capt B! You are my hero!

No comments: