Search This Blog

Monday, March 31, 2008

It's Called Setting Priorities People!

First off - a word of warning - I am truly Mrs. Cranky-Pants today and all this whining about the home mortgages and food stamps has just grated my last nerve...

CBS had a piece tonight on the evening news about foodstamps and how sad it is that people are losing jobs and struggling to put food on the table. The over the top images of the woman counting out dried beans for dinner to feed her four kids and granddaughter were bad enough. I could feel hearts bleeding all over the country. THEN the woman who was lamenting that food stamps were just not enough turned and lo and behold there was a little bluetooth "bug" in her ear. Can't afford food without food stamps but got enough to pay for the cellphone with wireless hands-free device. PUH-LEEZE!

And don't think I'm speaking out of turn. I was a single mom with two kids, working full time and going back to college. While I was married, one of my "luxuries" was to have my nails done every week. After the divorce, I had to decide between the beautiful fingernails or paying my bills. The fingernails fell by the wayside. It's called setting priorities and learning to make do with what you have. I have no problem with those requiring supplemental assistance on a temporary basis but damn - why should I pay for your groceries so you can have your 'bluetooth'?

You don't want to get me started on people buying houses they can't afford just so they can keep up with the Joneses and then cry because they can't make the payments. What's next - the government paying off your American Express Gold Card cause you were too distraught over your financial status to stop spending money you didn't have? I want a new car but really can't afford it. I think I'll go buy one and then cry to my Senators and Reps about the evil car dealership who enticed me with the electric windows & 6 disc CD player and the banker who didn't stop me from buying it. Hey - what's fair for one is fair for all.

No comments: