Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Be a PenPal With an Inmate at Supermax - BARF ALERT

Tom Barton has an editorial in the Savh Morning News today that just twisted my knickers into a knot. Inmates at the dreaded Supermax Prison in Colorado are able to post messages on a German website to troll for penpals of the opposite sex. Ricky Jivens (Savannah's version of Tookie) is an inmate at Supermax and is looking for a few good women...

"The most ruthless gang leader in modern Savannah history - a high-rolling drug dealer who had cops on his payroll and was said to be responsible for 15 to 20 deaths - wants to get up close and personal with members of the opposite sex in Europe and elsewhere, via the U.S. Postal Service, from his cell at the "Supermax" federal penitentiary in Florence, Colo."

Here's a few notes that Barton pulled from Jivens' posting...

"I'm constantly working on my legal issues, but as of right now, I'm doing a life sentence. I've been in prison since 1991. I came to prison at a very young age. In the Southeast region of the United States I'm a legend. I have a well known name in the South. I'm pretty famous in the U.S." (no remorse here...)

"I enjoy reading, working out, drawing, travelling, swimming, water skiing and writing. Just to name a few of my hobbies. I am also a big sports fan. Since I've been in prison I've earned a few degrees. I'm big on educator (sic), so I'm always trying to educate myself. I'm working on completing my first novel as we speak. My name alone should make it a bestseller in the United States." (wonder how often he really gets to water ski? From his use of grammar I don't believe any of his "degress" are in English composition)

The German website, Friends Behind Bars, even features a photo for the curious ladies.

Barton did followup with the US Bureau of Prisons to see if this was even possible. Short version - Yes it is...

"Tracy Billingsley, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Bureau of Prisons, said federal inmates don't have Internet access. She said, however, that prisoners can mail letters that others post on Web sites."

A little advice to the ladies out there looking to hook up with a prisoner at Supermax. Moussaoui will soon have his message up on the site. Why settle for some American punk when you can have an International One.

Yeah - life at Supermax is really tough.

No comments: