Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Gloves Are Off at the Debate

Tuned into the debate late but right when Mitt and McCain were going at it over McCain's distortion about the Iraq timetable for withdrawal. McCain continued to lie about Romney's statement and I truly thought we were going to see McCain lose it on the air. McCain came across as a pompous smirking liar. Ron Paul was the usual loon and Huckabee was just a crybaby about not getting enough questions.

I disliked McCain prior to this debate. After watching his facial expressions and listening to his answers, dislike has morphed into complete contempt. He is a small, mean-spirited nasty man. I don't care who endorses this ass - I just don't know if I can pull the lever for him. I will be pulling the lever for Romney on Tuesday and will encourage all my friends and family to do the same.

Mike over at Mike's America went to a McCain event in November 2007 and was able to ask the following...

Q. Following Senator McCain's remarks he invited questions from the group. I introduced my question by saying: "Many conservatives in South Carolina were disappointed because you and Senator Graham (McCain's SC Co-Chairman) 1. participated in the "Gang of 14" to block the "nuclear option" and break the filibuster of President Bush's judicial nominees, 2. highlighted the "torture" of terrorist detainees weeks before the 2006 election and 3. Your previous stand on immigration." I also mentioned that many conservatives felt that they "could not trust" Senator McCain and I asked: "What can you say to them so they give your campaign another look?"

McCain's response is one that needs to be shouted from every single rooftop. It gives you an insight into this man so much more than his campaign speeches...

His answer was direct and clear:
"If you don't agree with the "Gang of 14" solution then I am not your candidate and you should vote for someone else."


Senator McCain went on to highlight the fact that under the Gang of 14 solution, the Senate did confirm conservative judges like Alito and Roberts. He went to say "I shudder to think what would happen if we had pulled the trigger on the nuclear option and one day Hillary Clinton was appointing judges." He asked me: "would your blogging friends still want to blow up the Senate" if Hillary Clinton was in charge? If so, I am not their candidate!

Well then I guess I'll just take the old goat's advice and vote for someone else...

Dee over at Conservatism with Heart has a great post up about Hope. I'm going to print it out and post it by my computer so I can read it over and over.

No comments: