Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The Right Man at the Right Time

I am disenchanted. Usually blogging is my release and surfing the blogs is an enjoyable pasttime. My car radio is always on Talk Radio. I even have a tiny radio on a lanyard so I can listen to Rush, Hannity, etc while at work.

But lately I find myself changing over to FM Country stations and listening to my IPOD at work. A trip to FReeperville makes my blood pressure shoot up higher than it did when I was trolling DU for both my books. Blogs that I read at least daily are now off my favorites list. I could not take hearing and reading the incessant beating down of President Bush from those that once sang his praises from the rooftops. Seeing our President called "El Presidente" on National Review, reading slam after slam from Michelle Malkin, hearing calls for impeachment from people on the right, etc. has taken a toll on my psyche. I started doubting my own objectivity. Was I missing something? Was I just a Bush-bot, Bush apologist or any of the other names tossed my way when I supported the President?

I don't always agree with the President. Many times I have been thoroughly disgusted with some of his policies. But the thought of calling him names or any of the other options tossed around the blogosphere was something that I could not and would not do. All of the things President Bush has done right, all of the turmoil he has faced and his steadfast belief in Lady Liberty could not just be swept out of my mind or my heart.

Just when I thought I would go on hiatus from blogging, I came across this post by The Anchoress. She certainly has an amazing way with words. The Anchoress said all that I had been thinking but was unable to put into words. Here's a couple of snips... I highly encourage all to read her entire post...

"Ever stop to think maybe the president feels his base has abandoned him, that uncontent with 75%, they’ve simply moved beyond reason? Ever stop to think that while you’re calling the president every despicable name in the book and demanding his fealty or you’ll “teach him a lesson,” that perhaps there is a lesson you need to learn? That a good man, disinterested in merely laughing or crying for the camera for 8 years and looking to do a difficult job in the face of unprecedented hate, unprecedent speed of communication, unprecedented global instability, unprecedented backstabbing from within his own CIA, deserves some loyalty and the benefit of a doubt as he tries to bring you the 75% you so callously spit back at him as insufficient?"

"I think the throwing-under-the-bus-of-George-W-Bush by “the base” is one of the most shameful things I have ever witnessed in all my years of watching politics, from both sides of the political spectrum."

Thank You Anchoress. You have restored my faith in my fellow Conservatives. More than that, you have reminded me why I started writing and blogging in the first place.

Here's a great quote from John Steinbeck in 1966 that I found when researching "Warmongers and Traitors". It is without a doubt the best description of the Presidency and is certainly applicable today...

"The President must be greater than anyone else, but not better than anyone else. We subject him and his family to close and constant scrutiny and denounce them for things that we ourselves do every day. A Presidential slip of the tongue, a slight error in judgment - social, political or ethical - can raise a storm of protest. We give the President more work than a man can do, more responsibility than a man should take, more pressure than a man can bear. We abuse him often and rarely praise him. We wear him out, use him up, eat him up. And with all this, Americans have a love for the President that goes beyond loyalty or party nationality; he is ours and we exercise the right to destroy him."

Other great comments ...

Michael Novack - The Bravest President
"He has faced the most intense fire, hatred, contempt, heavily moneyed and bitterly acidic partisan opposition, underhandedness, betrayal, of any president in the last hundred years. He has faced hostility over a longer time, in possibly the most dangerous period of international warfare in our national history. He has remained constant, firm, decided, and generous (to a fault) with his opponents."

"Almost every day, he has been pummeled and undermined by powerful forces of American power. Still, he has stayed firm, with clear arguments, and an even clearer vision."

Flopping Aces -
"While I disagree with some of his views on immigration, overall he has done an outstanding job and I will not be a part of throwing him under the bus like a spoiled rotten little kid."

Bryan's Basement-
"Bush is a man who lives and dies by principle. Sometimes I agree with him, sometimes I don't. But he's never been anything less than frank and open about his beliefs, his plans, and his policies. An honest politician. That's exactly what everyone keeps saying they want. For all too many conservatives that apparently means they want a politician who's follows his conscience...except when they stomp their feet and demand otherwise. At that point Bush is supposed to immediately abandon his principles and his forget his faith and tow the line. Or else."

Macsmind -
"While not always agreeing on everything he presents, one think I admire about him is that he does stand behind what he presents and believes passionately in what he is doing and believes it to be in the best interests of the country. That's called "Character"."

For your musical pleasure, the latest hit from The Right Brothers.

No comments: