Search This Blog

Monday, February 19, 2007

My First Daytona 500


I went to my first Daytona 500 yesterday. It was not my first race. We've gone to the Pepsi 400 in Daytona several times. But this was my FIRST Daytona 500. It was also the first time I've sat on the Superstretch and not on the frontstretch at Daytona International. Actually we were sitting in Turn 2.

As much as I love racing, this one was miserable! I have never been as cold as I was yesterday. I tend to be pretty hot natured so I figured wearing a turtleneck and a Dale Jr. hockey jersey would be enough. Boy was I wrong. I forked out over $100 for a coat at the race track. Normally I would maybe buy a shirt or something smaller. But yesterday, I would have paid 500 dollars for a coat. I would have paid even more for a blanket or gloves.

The wind was blowing so hard directly at us, I kept my radio headphones on even when the radio was off. They kept my ears warm. Even the stocking cap my husband bought didn't help. When the jet blowers turned on and the heat was directed toward the stands, every one cheered.

It was so cold that when the race was red-flagged and Mark Martin was leading, we left. Yes we left. So where were we when the most spectacular finish ever at a Daytona 500 happened and Kevin Harvick eeked out a win? Standing in line to get on the bus to take us to the parking lot... The only consolation was we would not have been able to see the finish except for on the big screen.

Will I go back next year? Probably but not with Turn 2 seats. And I will bring a coat, hat and blanket - just in case. At least I can say we were there...

No comments: