Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

About BDS, BBS (Bush Betrayal Syndrome) and IDS (Immigration Derangement Syndrome)

I posted this back on May 23, 2006. Even though it was over a year ago, the words fit the way I feel right now. Talk about history repeating itself…

The Right Man at the Right Time

I am disenchanted. Usually blogging is my release and surfing the blogs is an enjoyable pasttime. My car radio is always on Talk Radio. I even have a tiny radio on a lanyard so I can listen to Rush, Hannity, etc while at work.

But lately I find myself changing over to FM Country stations and listening to my IPOD at work. A trip to FReeperville makes my blood pressure shoot up higher than it did when I was trolling DU for both my books. Blogs that I read at least daily are now off my favorites list. I could not take hearing and reading the incessant beating down of President Bush from those that once sang his praises from the rooftops.

Seeing our President called "El Presidente" on National Review, reading slam after slam from Michelle Malkin, hearing calls for impeachment from people on the right, etc. has taken a toll on my psyche. I started doubting my own objectivity. Was I missing something? Was I just a Bush-bot, Bush apologist or any of the other names tossed my way when I supported the President?

I don't always agree with the President. Many times I have been thoroughly disgusted with some of his policies. But the thought of calling him names or any of the other options tossed around the blogosphere was something that I could not and would not do. All of the things President Bush has done right, all of the turmoil he has faced and his steadfast belief in Lady Liberty could not just be swept out of my mind or my heart.

(snip)

Here's a great quote from John Steinbeck in 1966 that I found when researching "Warmongers and Traitors". It is without a doubt the best description of the Presidency and is certainly applicable today...

"The President must be greater than anyone else, but not better than anyone else. We subject him and his family to close and constant scrutiny and denounce them for things that we ourselves do every day. A Presidential slip of the tongue, a slight error in judgment - social, political or ethical - can raise a storm of protest. We give the President more work than a man can do, more responsibility than a man should take, more pressure than a man can bear. We abuse him often and rarely praise him. We wear him out, use him up, eat him up. And with all this, Americans have a love for the President that goes beyond loyalty or party nationality; he is ours and we exercise the right to destroy him."

*************
I vowed to avoid posting about the immigration bill because it seems to bring out the worst in everyone. But after watching Tony Snow on Fox and Friends this AM and reading the reactions to his appearance over at Free Republic I realized that it was time to say something. I called it IDS – Immigration Derangement Syndrome but the Anchoress and others call it BBS – Bush Betrayal Syndrome.

Sister Toldjah actually got me going on this after reading her post The Immigrations Debate: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Here's a snip...

I can’t count the number of times over the years I’ve seen accusations towards the President of of “being in bed with the Mexican president” by other conservatives, calling the president “Jorge,” putting his face on the Mexican peso, assertions that the president is a ’sell-out’ and ‘apparently doesn’t care about national security’ which is total BS, because he’s taken a lot of crap from the usual suspects on the left about the Patriot Act, Gitmo, warentless wiretapping - you name it. Just about every measure the President has taken in order to reduce the chances of another attack on our soil has been vilified by the left. He’s been accused of going ‘too far’ so let’s not kid ourselves by thinking that because he doesn’t take the typical conservative view on illegal immigration, that he’s not concerned about our national security.

Why are we ripping ourselves apart? In spite of our disagreements, we are supposed to be on the same team. Getting the Senate to wait on voting on the immigration bill when they were initially trying to shove it through, and then getting the Senate to essentially ‘kill’ the bill for now - all of that could have been accomplished without conservatives turning on each other like they were mortal enemies. Is this how we’re going to act everytime we disagree with each other (and we know this isn’t the first time this has happened)? If so, count me out.

Little Miss Chatterbox makes a GREAT point…

I hate to say it but some on our side have become irrational about this issue. When I heard the Wall Street Journal people talking about how irrational some on our side have gotten over this, I couldn't help but agree. I can't tell you how many blogs I have come across that have vowed to never vote for any Republican again because Republicans haven't done enough to fix immigration. Many of these same people have crucified Bush over this and have completely abandoned him. Meanwhile, these same people praise Reagan in the same breath when Reagan had the same views on immigration, if not a more lax stance.

And as usual, the Anchoress nails it to the wall…

Sufferers of Bush Betrayal Syndrome are easy to spot – they are the ones who continually repeat, “Bush Betrayed Us. I Feel So Betrayed! He Betrayed Us!” I’m one of the few lucky ones, I suppose, because I have never felt betrayed by Bush. He is, still, the same guy he was when I voted for him.

Perhaps it is time to stop eating our own, and to stop whimpering “betrayal” at a man with whom you are merely having a strong disagreement. The Democrats don’t have to destroy the right; it seems willing to commit suicide. It must be that “win by losing” mentality I can never quite wrap my head around.

Click on the links and read what each of these articulate intelligent ladies have written. Then step back and take a deep breath. Think about all the times we've mocked the Left for their outrageous comments. Think about all the times we've almost blown a gasket when Conyers, Sheehan, etc ridiculed and denigrated our President. The IDS/BBS crowd has bellied up to the "Eat Your Own Buffet" with KOS and the DUmpers as honored guests. This is one dinner party that I will NOT be a part of.

No comments: